Friday, January 21, 2011

Clothe Diapering

 It's becoming more popular, but still, not many women choose to use clothe diapers for their children.  I won't lie, disposable are definitely easier.  But for us, the cost and statistics of just how many disposable diapers make it to landfills every year prompted us to choose the more inconvenient route.

So far, it's been pretty good.  The number of loads of laundry I do has significantly increased, but that should go down as the boy get a little older.  It's less convenient when you have to change your child on the go.  Thank goodness for wet bags.  But it's totally different than it was 18 years ago when I was changing my brothers' clothe diapers. 

Yes, there are still tri-fold clothe diapers, but no more safety pins.  And there is a huge variety that look just like disposable diapers.  All-in-one diapers, all-in-two diapers, Flip diapers, Bum Genius diapers, I could go on and on.  Thankfully there are women right here in GR who know a lot more than me, and a store that offers everything I could ever need when it comes to clothe diapering.  Hopscotch (http://www.hopscotchstore.com) is a local store near Eastown that has a large variety of clothe diapers, as well as locally made toys and clothes. There are even free classes available on clothe diapering, "wearing your baby," breastfeeding, baby sign language, etc.

Eric and I use the Flip diapers, which are a one-size-fits-all diaper, so we don't have to worry that the boys are different sizes.  The Flip is a cover that holds an insert, which is what catches the pee/poop.  There are different kinds of inserts for different needs (like a heavy wetter or light wetter).  And since everything is separate, you can add things at different times.  For example, now that both boys are sleeping through the night, just a normal insta-dry insert won't do.  They wet through every night.  So, I went to Hopscotch and picked up a couple of all-around clothe diapers.  I put an insert inside of these, and then my Flip cover on the outside.  So far, we haven't had any leaks through the night.  The only thing with bedtime diapers is that they are huge.  Here is Atticus with the three layers of diapers on, before his pj's.  Yeah, pretty disproportionate to his size, but he doesn't wet through!


Now, I know clothe diapering is not for everyone.  And I don't have any problems with the families who choose disposables.  We actually keep a pack of disposable on hand just in case we have an exceptionally dirty day, and the laundry can't be done fast enough.  This is just the choice we made for our family, and even though it's difficult and inconvenient most of the time, I'm glad we made it.

If anyone has any questions, just let me know.  I would really like to help.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment