Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Search for a New Doctor


Up until now, the boys have been seeing Eric's doctor, a family doctor.  We were excited because not only was Eric already a patient at the office, but he had experience with adopted families.  This was something that was very important for us to find.  We didn't know what kind of issues the boys might have, and our hope was to find someone who could speak from experience.

Now that they have been home for more than half of their short little lives, I am discovering some things that I do not prefer about their doctor.  He's a nice guy, but I just don't think that he's right for us any longer.  I have spoken with some friends who also have little kids, and it seems like a lot of people who see family doctors aren't very happy.  I think it has to do with the fact that they are required to see such a range of patients instead of focusing on a specific kind of patient (children, women, seniors, etc).

But the million dollar question is, how do you find another doctor?  I know that a lot of people interview doctors, but when you already have children, it's a lot harder to tote them around to doctor meet and greets.  I have received several recommendations, which are very helpful, but oftentimes the office isn't accepting new patients, or they don't accept my insurance carrier, etc, etc.

Then what?  Should I open up the yellow pages?  Pay to become a part of some business review group, which may or may not help me find what I'm looking for?  Should I stay where I'm at?  It's such a hard thing to know.  There's so much more pressure than looking for a new hair stylist.  I don't mind seeing several different stylists, but I don't want to be changing my kids' doctor every few visits.  I think it is really important to find someone you really like and stick with them.  Then you can develop a history together and it can make treating your child a lot easier.  But again, how do you find a good pediatrician?  Please, pediatrician fairy, come and light my way!

My goal is to find a pediatrician by their next appointment, which is August 8th.  If I don't, I am not going to freak, but will just keep searching.  How did you find your pediatrician?  Any tips you want to send my way?  I'd love the help.  Parenting is definitely rewarding, but it can also be tough, so help a fellow momma out!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Deary.... I see you have to responses to this and since it's about time that you know i stalk your blog- i'll comment. The way i found the kids pediatrecian (who i LOVE) is through asking people with similar parenting styles (totally laid back and never worried about anything) and values (i have crazy ideas about vaccines and allergies and stuff). I heard a couple stories about how he reacted to some situations and thet had me sold. Haven't seen another one since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Julianna Garcia
    Julianna, thanks for the advice! That is how I hope to find a good doctor for the boys :)

    ReplyDelete