Wednesday, January 25, 2012

DIY Gold & Silver Chain Necklace

I have been on the hunt for a basic necklace that I can wear everyday and that matches whatever I'm wearing, whether it's dressy or casual.  So naturally I started by searching Etsy.  Here are a couple necklaces that I found.



I really like the ones above, but I am really cheap and ideally wanted to find something while thrifting, but so far, no luck.  So instead of thrifting one or purchasing one, I decided to try and make one for myself.

I went to Hobby Lobby (which, in my opinion has better jewelry making supplies than Michaels) and found everything I needed.  I wanted a necklace with two rings and was two toned, silver and gold.  So I purchased two chains and two different sets of jump rings.  The only tools that I needed were a pair of pliers and some nimble fingers.


I started by laying the necklaces out and finding the most centered link, opposite of the clasp and removing that link.



Next,  I opened up the jump rings, placing one jump ring at the end of each necklace.



Then, I connected the two jump rings, creating the necklace.


The final step was to combine the two clasps.  It's up to you which color clasp you want to keep.  Just remove the one you don't want and attach it to the one you do.  I chose to use the gold clasp.



And that was it, a great, simple chain necklace for everyday wear!  You don't have to make it two tone or use two rings.  It's all up to you and what you want to do.  My wedding rings are white gold, but I also like to wear yellow gold, so this necklace is perfect and will go with whatever jewelry I feel like wearing.


4 comments:

  1. So great! And I agree with the Hobby Lobby comment . . . I generally prefer Hobby Lobby for all my crafting needs =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I have some self control or I would probably spent WAY to much money there :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, this makes me smile! I just went to hobby lobby tonight to make my own diy necklace. It's a charm necklace, but looking over this blog chains look the same, same brand and everything. LOVE these updates, so fun to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I love finding projects online and figure I might as well post mine :)

      Delete