Saturday, February 18, 2012

Symphonic

Last night, I got to do something that I've wanted to for a long time now.  I've been to an opera, a musical, the ballet but I hadn't been to the symphony, until now.  Our local symphony played the entire score from the film, The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.  And in addition to hearing the score, we watched the movie as the symphony performed.

It was pretty incredible.  Most of the time, I completely forgot that the music I was hearing was live.  And during those epic moments, the music built so much that it totally enveloped you.  Music in films can be moving, but it's really nothing like experiences it live like we did.  I would recommend it to anyone and everyone, even if they aren't really interested in the symphony.  It's a great way to experience something so beautifully artistic, yet avoid the fear of being bored (which is something that I think a lot of people stereotype about the symphony).





We are not huge Lord of the Rings fans, but would go again in an instant, especially if the film was one that we were really interested in.  We thought that Gone with the Wind or Lawrence of Arabia would be awesome to experience this way.  I don't know about your city, but we are so grateful that our city offers events like this.  I can't wait until the boys are old enough to come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment