Friday, March 30, 2012

Doubt

We rewatched this film recently and I totally forgot how good it is, and that Amy Adams was in it.  Meryl Streep, who is always fantastic, and Amy Adams portray nuns who suspect a preist of an inappropriate relationship with a boy at their school.  Streep is certain of his wrongdoing, whereas Adams isn't so sure.  Throughout the film they set out to discover the truth.  Philip Seymour Hoffman is the preist in question and also gives an incredible performance.

I am always impressed by films that take place in very few locations.  I think it really shows what a great story it is.  This film was based on a play, which generally means minimal locations.  I also love films that have unexpected endings.  I'm not always one for a film to end with the guy getting the girl and everyone living happily ever after, not that I refuse to watch these or that they are bad.  I just like when the ending is more unpredictable, or even inconclusive, leaving you to your own thoughts and opinions about it.

 

Actually, there are several films in minimal locations that are all really amazing, as long as something like that doesn't frustrate you.  Rear Window, Rope, and 12 Angry Men are some of my favorites.  If you like doubt, then check out these films, or vise versa.  They are all great and worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment