Thursday, December 24, 2009

Being Domestic

The night I spent making the paper doll, I also wrapped a bunch of presents and make some granola. I wanted to make something for my grandparents, but wasn't sure of what to get.  Then came Martha Stewart's Christmas magazine and my problem was solved!

Here are the containers that I made, which are based on the Martha Stewart idea.  I had to put one batch in a non-glass container since I was mailing it to my Grandmother in Florida.  Last  year I sent here a candle which unfortunately didn't make it there in one piece. 



Here's the recipe if you want, because, as my husband says "it's so good".

4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 vegetable oil
1/4 honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup of dried raisins or dried cranberries


Preheat oven to 300 F.  In a bowl mix oats, almonds, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.  In a saucepan warm the oil and honey.  Whisk in vanilla.

 

Carefully pour the liquid over the oat mixture.  Stir gently with a wooden spoon; finishing mixing by hand.  Spread granola in a 15x10 inch baking pan.

Bake 40 minutes, stirring carefully every 10 minutes.  Transfer granola-filled pan to a rack to cool completely.  Stir in raisins/dried cranberries.  Seal granola in an airtight container or self-sealing plastic bag.  Store at room temperature for 1 week or in the freezer for 3 months.



I was actually surprised at how well they all turned out.  I started with the mindset of filling four of those jars for each grandparent/set of grandparents but screwed up the math and bought way more than I needed.  Instead of returning, I ended up making 8 batches.  Now almost everyone gets granola for Christmas  :)

I would encourage everyone to try this.  I am definitely not a cook or baker but this wasn't really hard, I actually had a lot of fun making it.

These helped a little though...


Good tea and a little companionship, it was a very successful evening.  Now off to enjoy Christmas festivities with my family.  I hope you have a marvelous Christmas Eve & Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment