Saturday, September 11, 2010

Some Progress with the Boys' Room

This past weekend, as Eric tore up the floor in one of our rental properties, I did some projects for the boys' room.  I had to split my time between homework and projects, so not much was accomplished, but any progress is good progress in my book.

Several months ago, I found a children's book that had stories from all over the world.  More importantly, it had some really cool art as illustrations for the stories.  So, I ripped the pages out of the book with the intention to frame them on the stairwell wall.  We have a lot of frames in the house, mostly filled with pictures, so I wanted something a little different for the nursery decoration.  Well, after months of being moved around the house to avoid ruin, they are finally up.  And along with them is a frame, filled with chicken wire to hang photos, art projects, etc.  It's super cute and really easy.  You can check out the tutorial at Under the Sycamore.  It is one of my favorite blogs and I would totally want to hang out with her, if she didn't live in Oklahoma.



While we're on the topic of inspiration, I think I figured out what I am going to do about hanging clothes up in the boys' room.  Because our walls are only 48" before the ceiling, there isn't a closet.  I was hoping to find a wardrobe, but think they don't exist at 48" or less.  But it just so happened that Smile and Wave posted some photos of her children's wardrobes this past weekend.  Apparently, they don't have closets either.  As a make-shift wardrobe, she used a regular bookshelf to hang all of her son's clothes.  Her bookshelf/wardrobe is full size, but I totally plan on using a 3-shelf bookcase.

Here is the one of the photos she had on her blog, showing what her son's wardrobe looks like now.


And here is the one I found at Target and bought today.  I picked up two of them since they were on sale.  If I can fit both, I think I will keep both since they are only 24" wide, which doesn't allow for too much "closet" space.


Anyway, things seem to be coming along quite nicely.  I think I am going to try and find out second crib this week and start the repainting this weekend.  But that mildly depends on how my homework ends up going.

I guess that's all for now folks.  I am off to accomplish some of the many things on my to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment