Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Good News & More Work Than Was Necessary

As you all know, I mailed our visa applications on Saturday.  And they arrived safe and sound on Monday morning.  Because we had received a visa for our last trip (yes, even though they were the reason we couldn't travel, they took our money and issued the visa), I had to send a cover letter asking for the previous visa to be voided and a new one issued.  The reason we needed the last one voided, was because it expired the day before we depart to come home from the DRC.  And we thought that we wouldn't be allowed to leave without a visa that was valid throughout our entire trip.

I knew that this wasn't a simple request, so when my phone rang with a D.C. area code, I wasn't surprised.  I was actually nervous that for some reason, they wouldn't like what we're doing and again, we wouldn't be able to travel.

When I answered the phone, the gentleman informed me where he was calling from and proceeded to ask what I was doing.  I went on to explain the situation, and he simply answered that the visa is good until January, it's just that you can only stay in country for a month maximum.  I was polite until I got off the phone and then did a super-happy dance. Of course this is how it would go, that I would scramble all day Friday for no real reason.  But it was all worth it, even if it was all in vain.  The best part is, he's also sending back our money order!  So we don't have to pay for the same thing twice.  And if he mails it today, like he said he would, it will be back in my hands tomorrow.

There truly aren't words to describe how relieved I was after that phone call.  For me, our visas were the one thing can could keep us from leaving on Sunday.  But now, we are all set to go. 

And now, I am off to spend the evening with the loveliest friends a girl could ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment