Thursday, March 24, 2011

New Food: Chicken Enchilada Casserole

I know I already posted a recipe for enchiladas, but this is still delicious and I just love .  It's from my mother-in-law, and she's a marvelous cook.  There are a couple of other recipes I am going to post from her, including one of Eric's all-time favorites.

But until then, here's the recipe for enchilada casserole.

1 medium onion
2 tbs oil
16 oz. crushed tomatoes
4 oz diced green chilies
8 oz tomato sauce
1 package of taco mix
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp salt
3-4 cups of cooked chicken
Cheese (whatever kind you prefer)

I actually added black beans too.  Eric and I aren't big tomato people, so I tried to add something in place of the tomato.


Saute onions in oil.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15-30 minutes



Grease 9 x 13 pan and add thick layer of mixture.  Then top with 1/2 to 1/3 cups of cheese.  Repeat until entire mixture is used.  Cover with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes at 325 degrees.  About 5-10 minutes before it's finished, add a top layer of cheese and remove cover.



There you have it!  Quick, easy and oh-so good.  You could always add Mexican rice as a side, and guacamole or sour cream are great toppers too!

No comments:

Post a Comment