Friday, March 25, 2011

The results are in...it looks like I have some allergies

At the beginning of the month, I had an appointment to be tested for food allergies.  And this past Monday, I had my follow-up appointment and received a list of the foods I have sensitivities to.  None of my allergies are very severe, but there were still nine foods that showed up on the test.

Unfortunately, some of them are major contributors to my usual diet.

 Cottage Cheese

 Swiss Cheese

And since there were a couple of dairy products in my results, the doctor suggested that I avoid dairy altogether...yeah, fun.


Garlic


Egg Whites
I already thought I was sensitive to eggs.  I just thought I was sensitive to commercial eggs, but this covers both commercial and organic.



Gluten/Wheat
I had a feeling this would be on there, probably because I love bread to much.


Potatoes

So, the roasted veggies recipe I just posted, yep, can't eat it anymore.  Man, and they were my favorite.  Thankfully, I am still able to eat sweet potatoes, I just need to avoid russet and red skin.


Yeast

Yeast includes both baker's and brewer's yeast.  I don't drink beer, so brewer's isn't a problem but I do love my Sunday morning bran muffin, which will now need to be forfeited.  This Sunday is going to be a sad, sad day.

So, what does this list of sensitivities mean for me?  Well, the doctor said that I should completely eliminate them from my diet for 3 months, and then I will be able to slowly reintroduce them one at a time to see how my body reacts.  Since none of them are considered severe, I can try reintroducing them to see how I handle it.  It may be a slight enough sensitivity that I can eat it without having any sort of reaction.  But I guess I will just have to wait and see.

I will be spending a lot of time this week looking for recipes and meals that avoid these things, which won't be easy.  I mean, yeast is in pretty much everything.  I will also be counting on a friend of mine who is an awesome cook and allergic to soy, dairy and gluten.

I have to keep telling myself that it's only for 12 weeks and then I will know for sure what makes me feel sick.  It's worth it...right?


Source: Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment