Tuesday, March 22, 2011

When the husband's away, a housewife's sewing machine will play

A couple of weekends ago, Eric had to go out of town for work, so I had Thursday through Monday night to myself.  And now that the boys are here, I don't have the option of going out in the evenings unless there is a babysitter.  Thankfully I had some sewing I wanted to do.

I am not even close to a real seamstress, I just wing it and hope it fits.  Well, I had a 30% success rate on this particular night.  I had a bag of tanks that I was going to get rid of, and a bunch of movie t-shirts from a friend who works at a theatre.  The tanks were too short, so I didn't wear them anymore and I was hoping to use the t-shirt fabric for something.  So I combined them.  I took the tank (since it fit me already) and added length with the t-shirt, creating a tunic.

Here is what I started with.  I attempted this with three different tanks and t-shirts so not all of the photos have the same top in it.


I tried on the tank to see where I wanted the t-shirt to start and marked it with chalk.  Then I laid the t-shirt over the tank at the point it started and free-handed how it would taper out.


Once I had the tunic lines drawn, I just cut it out.


After everything was cut, I sewed the bottom half together.  Once I had two complete pieces, I just sewed them together.


Like I said, I made three tops but only one actually fit me.  Thankfully, my younger sister-in-law is super tiny and is always open to trying out my make-shift clothes :)

This top is one that didn't end up fitting me, so off it went to another closet.  It's so easy when you combine pieces you weren't planning on wearing, that way it's no big deal if it doesn't work out.


Here is one that actually worked for me.  I am very excited to have it for summer.  And I have actually worn it already, under a cardigan.  It works both ways.


And if you don't like the seam line where the two come together, you can just add a cute belt.  Like this.


Although I missed having Eric home, I tend to craft a lot more when he's away.  After the boys go to bed, Eric and I usually watch a movie or make dinner, but when he's gone I fill my time with creative projects.  Plus, absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment