Wednesday, June 1, 2011

New Food: Spaghetti Squash

This is a meal I've made before, but it's been some time.  It's essentially spaghetti, only, you use spaghetti squash instead of pasta.  It's a healthy substitution if you're watching carbs, or if you just want to try something new and yummy.  In addition to the spaghetti, I made roasted veggies as a side.

And I think this is one of the first times that there isn't a link to the original recipe, since I just make it how I like it. 


 You begin by cutting the squash in half, the long way.  Beware, sometimes it's pretty difficult to do, and you may have to work at it.


As you probably know, you must remove all of the seeds and gunk before cooking.


Once you've removed the seeds from the squash, place face down in a pan, with some water in the bottom.  Cook at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.


Like I said, I also made roasted veggies, so I cooked everything for a little longer, with a but hotter temp.  If you want to know how I make my veggies, you can check it out here.


While the squash and other veggies were roasting, I browned some venison and added it to the pasta sauce.  Eric generally prefers meat in his meals.


After the squash is cooked, let it cool for a while.  When ready, use a fork to scrape the inside of the squash.  This will cause the squash to shred, creating your noodle substitute.  Just one squash makes quite a bit of "pasta" so unless you have a big family, I would only cook one.  And if you don't eat it all, there are always left overs, which are my favorite!


I really like using spaghetti squash instead of noodles.  It's not Eric's favorite, but he puts up with it when I make it.  If you have kiddos, just know that spaghetti squash can be a little crunchy, in case you have a more picky eater.



The nice thing about using squash is that it's just as easy as pasta.  I find my squash at my local grocery store.  I wouldn't imagine they'd be too hard to find if you wanted to try it out.  And make sure to tell my how it turns out!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I stick my squash in the microwave for about 30 seconds and it is much easier to cut.

    ReplyDelete