Thursday, September 22, 2011

Temporary Single Parenthood

I am not a single parent, but because Eric's work sometimes takes him out of state or country, I am  offered a very small and very limited glimpse into that world.  When he travels, I do not have to work but I am by myself for every aspect of childcare, and just doing that alone is hard.

Since the boys came home, Eric hasn't traveled nearly as much as he has in the past, which is something that I am very thankful for.  But just recently he was gone 9 out of 10 days (gone 5 days, home 1, then gone for 5 more).  Just those few days of doing things on my own has given me so much respect for military wives who do it for a year or more at a time and even more respect for those moms who do it on their own all the time.

No matter what situation you're in, you make it work, even if it's difficult.  I get it all the time about having "twins."  People ask how I do it, and I always answer that it's my life and I don't really think about it, but that doesn't make it any less hard .  Having two boys the same age can be a challenge, but it's my life and I know that single moms would probably say something similar. 

For me, having those temporary moments of single parenthood is a good reminder, not only of what I'm capable of, but more of a reminder to be thankful for the wonderful husband I have and father my children have.

No comments:

Post a Comment