Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Handedness

I did some checking online, and it looks like handedness isn't really determined until a child is 2-3 years old.  But from the looks of it, I think we may have a couple of lefties.  Baxter and Atticus will both use their right and left hands to do things, but we have been noticing how often they favor their left hands, especially when eating.  Every once in a while they will use their right hand, but 90% of the time it's their left.




This doesn't seem like a big deal, and it really isn't.  I just start thinking about how I'm going to teach them to do things left handed, when I am right handed.  Throwing is going to be very awkward, writing with my left hand is almost impossible, and I don't think I even know how to hold a pencil in my left hand properly.  So how I am I supposed to teach them?!

If you stop and think about it, it pretty quickly becomes a bigger deal.  I have heard that many kids become ambidextrous because they are naturally left handed, but are taught by right handed parents and adapt to how they're taught.  I think that may have happened to my brother.  He favors his left hand for some things and his right hand for others.  Or maybe he's just ambidextrous, it's one thing that we'll never know for sure.

So I either traumatize them for making them do things a way that isn't natural for them or I traumatize them for teaching them to do things awkwardly, as a right handed person teaching a left handed one.  Eiher way, they'll probably be somewhat traumatized.  Somewhat traumatizing, maybe that's a new synonym for parenting ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment