Friday, September 14, 2012

Gone Baby Gone

So, we've broken out of our 80s sci-fi funk and have moved onto intense, gripping films about the search of an abducted child.  Gone Baby Gone is the first film that Ben Affleck directed and man oh man, is it different than Jersey Girl.  The film stars his brother, Casey Affleck, who's a phenomenal actor, Michelle Monaghan, Ed Harris and Morgan Freeman.  Affleck's character is a private detective, along with Monaghan, who is hired to search for a girl (in addition to the police) who went missing from a shadier Boston neighborhood.  As he searches, things don't add up and he doesn't accept the answers that he's been given.  Like I said before, it's very intense, but not at all scary.  I shed a view, or more, tears so be warned about that.

I know that my tween self would hate me for saying this, but I think I like Ben Affleck better as a directer than as an actor.  Although I think his acting abilities have bettered since becoming a director.

If the content (children being abducted) isn't too touchy for you, I'd definitely recommend seeing this. Amy Ryan, who plays the abducted girl's mother, was nominated for a Golden Globe and an Oscar for her role.


1 comment:

  1. I have been a Casey Affleck fan since his film that Halle Berry was in and he was a teenager and had to build these cars that were solar powered and they would race them. . .called Race the Sun. So yeah, I used to be a little obsessed with him, actually. bad. Ben Affleck was always a terrible actor to me and I agree, his directing is better. I thought this movie was excellent!!!
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete