Thursday, March 10, 2011

New Food: Enchiladas

I have to say, this is one of my favorites to make.  I found it because a friend of mine is vegetarian, and I had to find some ideas for dinner.  The original recipe is from Recipe Center (I cannot a link to the original recipe), but I made some my own adjustments.


1 can (15 oz) of light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (4 oz) diced green chili peppers, drained
1/2 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups shredded cheese
1 can (10 oz) hot enchilada sauce
1 can (10 oz) mild enchilada sauce
8 fajita tortillas
Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish (optional)

If you want to add meat, it's also good.  I like it with just beans, but Eric likes chicken so I do have of the tortillas with chicken and the other half without :) 



Heat oven to 375.  In a large bowl, slightly mash kidney beans.  Then mix in black beans, chili peppers, corn, chili powder, salt and cumin.  Stir to combine, and then add 1 cup of cheese.



If you use two different  enchilada sauces, mix those in a medium bowl.  I usually use two mild cans, so mixing is not necessary.  If I want it a little hotter, I just add a bit more chili powder.

Stir 1 cup of enchilada sauce into bean mixture.

The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce spread in the bottom of the pan, but I find that I need more if I don't want the tortillas to stick, but every one's different.  Spoon 1/4 cup of the bean mixture in the center of the tortilla; roll up and place in baking dish.  Repeat until all tortillas are placed in dish. 



Pour remaining enchilada sauce onto the top of tortillas to cover, and then top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes.  If you use cilantro, garnish when finished.



This recipe is surprisingly easy, and delicious.  If you venture to make it, I hope you enjoy it just as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment