Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Gym Lovin'


I just got back from the gym, and man oh man, do I love that place.  Most mornings it takes a lot of motivation to get the boys up , fed, dressed and out the door in time, but once I'm there, I usually don't want to leave.  Before the boys came home, I was working out an average of 5 days a week.  And as soon as those boys came off the plane, poof...nothing.  My mother-in-law would come over every week or two while the boys napped so I could hit the gym for an hour or so, but it's just not the same as a regular routine.

This sporadic gym attendance lasted a whopping four months, which is a long time if you're used to going multiple times a week.  It was our decision to get the boys completely adjusted to life with us before handing them to a stranger at the gym childcare.  Even now, I am happy with our decision, but it didn't make it any easier on the days I really wanted to work out.

And I know, I could have worked out at home.  But to be honest, I'm just not that motivated.  I can't prioritize doing crunches on my floor over laundry or dishes or sweeping.  I'm a gym girl (I guess I'm spoiled).  I need to get away from my house, where my only option is working out.  I think it helps me work out longer and harder.  Plus, seeing all those people there sweating their butts off, only motivates me more.

As a new mom, I have found that the time I spend at the gym is precious.  It's me time.  It's time I spend so I can feel good about myself.  If I don't work out for a while, I get just blah.  And I think the time I spend with my boys suffers.  I'm less energetic; less motivated to get on the floor with them.  For me, working out makes me a happier person overall.  Ask my husband.  According to him, I come back all smiles.

Yes, yes I would classify myself as addicted, but not in a bad way.  I am not addicted to being a certain weight, or lifting a certain amount, or going a certain number of times a week (although, I like the way I look/feel more when I'm working out).  I'm addicted to the energy it gives me, and the boost it gives my day.

I know every woman is different.  Every woman has something she likes to do for herself.  This is just my thing.  And I didn't always used to feel this way.  Actually, I had never stepped foot in a gym before I started dating Eric.  But now, I spend more time there than he does.   My goal is to get back to where I was before the boys came home.  Right now I'm going about 3 times a week.  But we'll see.  I'm not going to worry about it.  I'm thankful that I get to go 3 days a week.  And now with summer here, I'm hoping for lots and lots of walks with the boys.

Do you have something you like to do for yourself?  Work out, scrapbook, sew?

No comments:

Post a Comment