Thursday, May 26, 2011

New Food: Dessert Edition

***I scheduled this recipe to post a couple of weeks ago, and I just realized that it never did.  Since it's intended post date, I have made these muffins twice and both times they have turned out delicious***

I was done.  Done eating rice cakes and peanut butter as Eric enjoyed a warm bran muffin.  It was hard because I, at one point in time, was able to enjoy it too.  But no more.  Well, not until June and then we'll know if it's no more.

Anyway, despite my lack of baking skills, I decided I was going to attempt gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and sugar free muffins.  Yeah, sound good right?!

Well, I found a recipe I could work with and after some modifications, removed said muffins from oven.  Sadly, they turned out pretty doughy inside.  But I am going to attempt them again next week.  I know where I messed up, and will correct my mistake before the next batch.

If you want to check out the original recipe, you can click HERE.


3 cups of pumpkin puree
1/3 cup of olive oil
6 tbsp of ground flax seed & 9 tbsp water (enough egg replacement for 3 eggs)
1 cup agave nectar (replaced honey)
1/2 cup Truvia (replaced sugar)
4 cups of gluten free flour mix
3 tsp of baking powder
3 tsp of xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin tins.


This is what the egg replacement looks like.


Whisk together the pumpkin, oil, egg replacement and Truvia.


In a separate bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients (agave, flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice).

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones, just until combined.


Fill muffin tin cups 3/4 full and bake for 35-40 minutes.


Let cool for about 5 minutes in pan, hen turn out onto cookie racks and cool completely before cutting and/or eating.

Now, I will tell you where I made my mistake, lest you do the same.  I couldn't find any gluten free baking mix at my local grocery store (more like I didn't see it) and so I purchased white rice flour.  Apparently, white rice flour doesn't absorb very well and therefore, my muffins were super gooey.  But like I said, I got the correct flour and will be remaking them next week, with chocolate chips.  Yum.

So, my first attempt at gluten/dairy/egg/sugar free baking was mildly successful, but pretty good considering it was my first try.  Do you bake a lot?  I would love more recipes.  I think it's something I should master as the "home maker."

No comments:

Post a Comment