Friday, May 20, 2011

Thumb-Sucking Update

It's been a couple of weeks since we officially stopped letting Atticus suck his thumb, and what a couple weeks they have been.  For the first week, there was a lot of pulling his thumb out of his mouth, but slowly, he did it less and less.  I was super encourage when for about a week, he only tried to suck his thumb 2-4 times a day, usually first thing in the morning or right before bed.

Then, it happened.  Regression.  I pretty much had to have him with me always in order to keep him from sucking his thumb.  I swear it wouldn't leave his mouth if it wasn't for me. 

During these tough times, it's imperative that you push through in order to get the results that you want.  It's like this is many areas of life.  Well, Eric decided that he wasn't so sure about breaking this habit any more.  What?!  Yeah, that's right.  I love him to pieces, but I disagree that we are causing any sort of psychological harm by breaking this habit.  But, because I love him and want to be considerate of his thoughts and feelings, I am going to research the pros and cons of breaking this habit.

Now, "research thumb sucking" is on my ever growing to-do list.  Until I find the time to do so, this has been happening a lot at our house lately.


As any married person knows, especially married persons with children, it's very important to be on the same page.  And if Eric isn't comfortable removing Atticus' thumb at the moment, I cannot do it on my own.  I am not with the boys all day, every day, so I can't ensure that he isn't sucking his thumb when I'm not around.  Therefore, he gets to keep this lovely habit a little longer.

Do any of you have/had thumb suckers?  If you had a thumb sucker, how did you break the habit?  And at what age?  Any insight would be super helpful.

Oh, and it's Friday!  This week has just flown by.  I hope you have a great weekend.  Come Monday, I'll have a one year old.  Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment